Tuesday 4 June 2013

Cult Nails In The Garden Wax Finish Swatches

Pin It
I picked up the In The Garden Collection from Cult Nails during the pre-sale event when it was 20% off. I really only wanted the pink matte (or 'wax') finish lacquers, but I thought I might as well try the lot since it was better value.

Ay, Poppy! is a great glossy orange, but I don't really need another so I'll probably sell/swap it; and You're My Dandy Lion looked horrid next to my skin so I've already sold it LOL!
But the pinks are pretty great; I love the colours. My camera really struggled to focus on these mattes; so the photos aren't great, but please bare with me because you're gonna love these too!


Cult Nails Let's Get Dirty




Let's Get Dirty is a lightly pink toned taupe/putty matte with a soft shimmer. In my opinion, LGD is the best of the three. It applies quite smoothly (after I had a couple drops of thinner), reaching full coverage in two coats. I recommend thin coats and to avoid dragging; allow each layer to dry before adding the next. As a matte, they dry pretty quickly.
The shimmer is soooooooooooooo gorgeous. It just adds that bit of sheen matte finishes benefit from.


Cult Nails Kiss My Rosebush




Kiss My Rosebush is a bit of a saucy name, no?!! It's a pretty muted pink that reminds me of OPI Sparrow Me The Drama. There is a really subtle shimmer to the formula but you really can't see it on the nail. I wish you could!!!! I also found KMR to have the most difficult formula. It's opaque in two coats, but also really thick and streaky/uneven, so I ended up using a heavy fourth coat to try and fix it. I did add some thinner but it didn't change much. Pity, but it doesn't put me off, I just love the wax finish in the dusty pink.


Cult Nails Morning Glory




 Morning Glory is a dark fuchsia matte, verging on red-violet. A beautiful shade. The formula was a little thick too so I added a few drops of Seche Restore then applied three coats. It's opaque in one, but I just couldn't get it even enough for my liking. I immediately thought it was a dupe for Illamasqua Kink, but upon comparing the bottles I was happy to find MG is a few shades lighter! I do wish there was a hint of shimmer in this one too, but ho hum...

Bottle Comparison: Illamasqua Kink vs Cult Nails Morning Glory

These are touted as a 'wax' finish lacquers and I can kind of see that. But they're really just plain matte. They do not look satin-y or rubbery to my eyes.

This review might not seem favourable but I do adore these Cults, despite the formulation flaws - all mattes are a bitch to apply, right? Just buff your nails before you apply them because they really highlight your ridges.


What's your stance on the matte finish? Yay, or nay?


xxx
NPA

1 comment:

  1. i like the wax finish she has created, but not in these colors. i loved it when i saw it in the black she put out a few months ago, and was super stoked she came out with a wax top coat (which i just bought yesterday!) - so im glad i can now achieve this look with polishes that have better application. i do like the colors in this line, but i have read alot that the pinks were a bit hard to apply.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from all my fabulous readers, but please do not link bomb here. If you would like me to check out your blog or other link please email me (PR/Contact tab above) instead. I will endeavour to reply to all questions/comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...